In Minnesota, students and their families/guardians have a wide range of meaningful school options beyond the traditional, neighborhood school.
Please read below for information on Open Enrollment and Homeschool
The St. Michael-Albertville School District welcomes non-resident students through Minnesota’s Open Enrollment program. Over 1000 open-enrolled students from 17 different Minnesota school districts call STMA Schools home. We welcome them to our tradition of excellence and look forward to carrying out our mission of creating self-directed learners, purposeful thinkers, effective communicators, and responsible citizens. If you live outside St. Michael-Albertville Public Schools district boundaries, follow these steps to apply for open enrollment.
Open Enrollment Timeline/Deadlines:
- January 15: Download and complete the Open Enrollment Application. Email, fax, drop-off, or mail to St. Michael-Albertville Schools, 11343 50th Street NE Albertville, MN 55301. The statewide application deadline for open enrollment is January 15. Students who are requesting open enrollment for their early childhood special education (ECSE) child, should use this form as well.
- February 15: Look for communication on open enrollment approval/disapproval by February 15.
- March 1: After receiving approval of your application, you must complete and submit registration forms by March 1 to confirm your commitment to attend.
- Once a student is accepted as an open enrollment student, the student has the right to continue to attend STMA Schools through graduation, as long as the student maintains continuous enrollment.
- You must fill out new open enrollment forms if you have a change of address.
Families that Apply for Open Enrollment after the January 15 Deadline
Deadlines do not apply if one of the following conditions is met:
- The resident district has an approved Achievement and Integration Plan (see list on MDE website), in which case there is no deadline and enrollment may begin at any time after notification of acceptance. (Minn. Stat. 124D.03, subd. 4)
- The family moved to the resident district on or later than December 1. (Minn. Stat. 124D.03, subd. 7.)
If none of the above conditions apply, follow the process below.
- Parent/Guardian completes Open Enrollment Application. Students who are requesting open enrollment for their early childhood special education (ECSE) child, should use this form as well.
- The district will send the resident district a Non-Resident Agreement (NRA). The resident district does not have to approve the NRA. If the NRA is approved by the resident district, the student can attend STMA Schools for the remainder of the year. Open enrollment begins the following school year.
If you have any questions regarding the open enrollment process or timelines, please contact Sunday Kloncz at 763-497-3180 or email@example.com.
To learn more about open enrollment at STMA see School Board Policy 509 - Enrollment of Nonresident Students.
For some families, homeschooling is the appropriate educational choice for their child.
If you determine homeschooling is the best option for your child(ren), please read below for important information and deadlines.
- Homeschool Full Report*– Submit before October 1 of the first year of homeschooling within a residential district, or within 15 days of withdrawing a child from public school in order to homeschool.
- Letter of Intent to Continue Homeschooling*– Submit before October 1 of each year after the instructor has provided the same district with a Homeschool Full Report.
- Aids to Nonpublic Students – A small amount of financial assistance is available through the State of Minnesota's Aids to Nonpublic Students program. In order to be eligible, the Aids to Nonpublic Students Form must be submitted before October 1. Aids change slightly each year and are set by the State of MN. Aids for 2020-2021 are:
$85.59 per eligible pupil for textbooks, standardized tests, and individual instructional materials on a loan basis. These funds can be used for ACT testing.
$83.63 per eligible student for Pupil Health Services.
$279.36 for Secondary Pupil Guidance and Counseling Services
Completed forms can be submitted to STMA Schools by the modes below.
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send via USPS to STMA Schools ATTN: Home School 11343 50th Street NE Albertville, MN 55301
- Fax 763-497-6588
*You do not have to use these documents; you can submit this information to the school district in a different format.
For questions or more information, please contact Sunday Kloncz (763-497-3180) or visit the Minnesota Department of Education website for forms and additional homeschool information.